Monday, February 25, 2008

Spanglish

I know it goes without saying here, but I am the rainbow-fucking-type. Black, brown, yellow, red, white, I gnaw through ethnic and linguistic identities like a beaver (so to speak).

Living on the borderlands, both psychically and physically, as I do, has its glories and its perils. I know from experience that I rub a lot of sensibilities the wrong way, when it comes to this topic; a lot of people don't see things my way. But, then again, I do live in Detroit, after all, and let's not forget Detroit is the only place in America that looks south into Canada.

I suppose it is both a blessing and a curse of North American life that the easiest way to cross borders is sex. Sad, and sort of upside down, that it should be so much easier to share bodies, before we can share minds. On the other hand, it is sort of wonderful that in North America people named Achmed and Megan can sneak off to the local Starbuck's every now and then to share a latte (and make a latte, later on).

This world is changing fast, and frankly, if you're a separatist, don't even start with me. If you start up with your bile, all I am going to do is show you my ass! Separatism is old, and tired, really tired. We are living in a rainbow world. You might as well get used to it, because that was the last train of the night, and that train left the station hours ago.

In the building where I live, there is an African American man who is married to a white woman. He and his son are constantly going at it. I can hear them hollering at each other, three floors up. The son says that he's not black, that he's post-racial! You know what, dad? You can hang it up, argument is over (and out), because your son is going to be post-racial. You are living in a post-racial world. You started making it, back in the day, when you made out with that dame.

And, me? I'm off to southwest Detroit tonight, Latino-land, to brush up on my Spanglish. First off, I am going to listen to some "Mamacita, puta, chika, chika..." música, and then I am going to drop my drawz, and fuck me a rainbow!

And if you don't like it, well, you can kiss my ass!

No comments: